Al-Quds open archive is the result of a collaboration between the Center for Palestine Studies at Columbia University (CPS) and the Institute for Palestine Studies in Ramallah. Since its foundation in 2010, to honor the legacy of Professor Edward Said who taught at Columbia University for forty years, the Center for Palestine Studies has been involved numerous projects including the publication of the Jerusalem Quarterly, a film based project called Dreams of a Nation, and Al-Quds open archive.
Al-Quds open archive includes 392 issues published between 1908 and 1914. The Index allows visitors to access the scanned issues by number. Documents first display in a reader, and the PDF file opens when clicking on the pop-out icon located at the top right hand side of the document. Those high definition PDFs can be downloaded and printed.
The website is in English.
In 2017, the McGill Library acquired Foreign Office Files for the Middle East, 1971-1981, a database of Primary Source documents examining events such as the Arab-Israeli War, the Lebanese Civil War, and the Iranian Revolution. This collection of files from the United Kingdom Foreign Office (i.e. diplomatic correspondence, minutes, reports, political summaries and personality profiles) is a invaluable tool for researchers focusing on the history of the Middle East during the 1970s.
The Foreign Office Files for the Middle East, 1971-1981 is available through the McGill Library A-Z database list.
It includes three modules focusing on different time periods:
- 1971-1974: the 1973 Arab-Israeli war and the Oil crisis
- 975-1978: the Lebanese civil war and the Camp David accords
- 1979-1981: the Iranian revolution and the Iran-Iraq war
An essay introducing this historical period by Professor Michael Gasper, including links to relevant documents within the collection, can be read here.
The Popular Searches page shows a list of most important people, places and topics covered by the documents. A simple click on any name or topic will lead to a list of documents in which they appear.
The collection can also be discovered through the gallery of maps, linking back to the original documents from which they come.