The Directory of Free Arab Journals (DFAJ) is an initiative of Middle Eastern Open Access activists aiming at producing a directory of all open access (OA) scientific journals produced in Arab countries. DFAJ currently includes 250 journals from 172 publishers in 17 Arab countries. The directory is published under a CC-BY-NC license. Initially launched in 2013, a new version was released in March 2017.
Currently, DFAJ offers the following features:
- a listing of all Arab scholarly journals that are openly available on the internet
- hyperlinks to the listed journals and their publishing organizations
- standard information such as ISSN, publisherp, country of publication, frequency, keywords, etc.
- a journals’ browsing by field/discipline capability, as well as an advanced search feature
- a form to suggest new journals
- information about the peer-review process as well as indexing in international databases (Scopus & Directory of Open Access Journals)
- the ability to create a personal account to save favorite journals
- making the interface bilingual Arabic-English (it is only in Arabic)
- transforming the current website in a portal steering discussion about, and advocating for open access in the Arab Middle East
- providing guidance for editors and publishers on how to create and maintain OA journals
- suggesting repository management software.